Sunday, September 18, 2016

Dialect Test blog post 1

On Friday I took a dialect test by the New York Times.
My dialect was most common in Salt lake city, Spokane and Tacoma. I wasn't surprised to find that I had a dialect, and I expected to have one. I don't think I have a dialect because I'm used to how I speak along with being surrounded by people who speak similarly, but if I were to enter a different setting with people who speak differently than me I'd think I would hear more of a difference in how I speak. What surprised me most was one of my main cities was salt lake city, because I've never been to Utah, and I have no family from that area. I do believe dialect and accents affect who people are and how they are treated, which can shape someones personality, this is mainly seen with people with different accents/dialects living in an area where their speech is not common. My dialect doesn't really affect me in anyway, because everyone around me speaks very similarly so it hasn't affected how I've been treated or who I am. I don't really think differently or anyone with an accent of a dialect, partially because half my family speaks with an accent and I've just never really cared about peoples differences in speech.

No comments:

Post a Comment